▪ Square Face: Gals with wide square jaws need to soften the hard edges of their face. Go for earrings that are medium to long with rounded edges. Oval shapes soften things up, and circular earrings and hoop earrings work well too. Stay away from square studs or any kind of earring with a square as it only reinforces the squareness.
▪ Heart Shaped Face: Counterbalance your sharp chin with chandelier or tear drop earrings. Earrings that are wider at the bottom than the top help fill in the lower portion of your face, so your face is more balanced.
▪ Oval Shaped Face: You can wear almost any shape, but triangular earrings or simple studs will show off your lovely cheekbones best!
2. Match your bone structure to your earrings.
Bone structure will determine the size and weight of the earrings you will look best in.
▪ Small, fine bone structure: (Sharon Stone) Choose earrings that are thin, fine, flat and delicate.
▪ Medium Bone Structure: (Madonna) Opt for medium weight and size earrings.
▪ Large Bone Structure: (Oprah) You can carry off medium to large, heavy, chunky earrings.
3. Where will you be wearing the earrings?
The more conservative the office, the more conservative the earring. Choose classic styles in gold for the most authority. Executive dressing means no dangly or hoop earrings. Avoid large earrings if you are in very traditional, conservative fields like finance and law.
4. Match earrings to your skin tone.
▪ If you have warm undertones in your skin (yellow or peach), that means you are a spring or autumn and look best wearing gold and copper metals.
▪ If you have pink or blue undertones in your skin, then you are a winter or summer. Silver and pewter make you look fabulous.
How to Choose the Right Earrings for Your Face Shape
Earrings are a wonderful way to perk up your face and make you look classy and fabulous. But be careful you don’t make the mistake of wearing earrings that are “in style” but don’t really suit you. There are many things to consider when choosing the right pair. Here are four tips for getting it right.
1. Match your earrings to your face shape.
Earrings can make your face look wide, thin, long or fat depending on your face shape.
▪ Round Face: If your face is circular, meaning widest at the cheekbones with no taper to the chin, then you have a round face. Long drop or dangle earrings will elongate your face and make it look slimmer. Avoid large circular earrings, hoops and button studs which only emphasize the roundness. Also, stay away from drop earrings with a dangling round disc. The roundness will only make your face look rounder.
▪ Long and Narrow Face: If you have a long, thin face choose earrings that emphasize the width of your face. Studs, clustered earrings, short dangles, hoops in a medium to large size. Any time of round earrings will widen your face, and make it look fuller.